At Least Three Palestinians Shot Dead Amid Jerusalem Clashes

  • At Least Three Palestinians Shot Dead Amid Jerusalem Clashes

At Least Three Palestinians Shot Dead Amid Jerusalem Clashes

Nammari says she received a blow to her back from an Israeli soldier.

A week of violence escalated sharply on Friday, when three Palestinian protesters were killed in clashes with Israeli security forces and three Israelis were stabbed to death by a Palestinian attacker who invaded a West Bank settlement home.

It later reported a third Palestinian fatality, Muhammad Lafi, 18.

Following the attack in the West Bank settlement of Halamish, Israel increased its security alert level and dispatched thousands of additional troops to the area, Haaretz reports, citing IDF official.

Tensions have risen since police installed the metal detectors in a move Palestinians and other Muslims perceive as a means for Israel to assert further control over the site.

The Palestinian Health Ministry said a 17-year-old was shot and killed near the scene of the clashes, but the circumstances of his death are unclear.

Anger has spilled over across the Muslim world including the West Bank since last week when Israel closed the Al Aqsa mosque, revered by both Muslims and Jews, who call it Temple Mount, following a deadly shootout.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, meanwhile, announced he was suspending contact with Israel on "all levels", dealing a blow to recent U.S. attempts to renew the long-dormant Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.

Abbas said that he would freeze all contacts with Israel until Jerusalem commits on canceling all the measures against Palestinian people in general and especially in Jerusalem and Al-Aqsa mosque.

In anticipation of protests on Friday, Israeli police barred men under 50 from entering the Old City in annexed east Jerusalem for prayers, while all women were allowed in. Hundreds of worshippers gathered at various entrances, but refused to enter, preferring to pray outside.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the metal detectors will stay up for now but added he will have "additional security consultations" in the future about the issue. NPR's Daniel Estrin said police "blocked buses of Muslims coming to Jerusalem from around the country".